Installation Notes - Vault 5.0
This release is a major upgrade, and you must purchase new licenses for all of your users. For pricing details, see sourcegear.com/vault/pricing.html. For licensing FAQs, see: sourcegear.com/vault/licensingfaq.html. Once a Vault database has been upgraded to 5.0, it cannot be used with previous versions any more. If you install 5.0 over an existing database, you must enter new license keys to continue working.
Please ensure you have a verified backup of your database before upgrading, and upgrade at a time when it is convenient to not have access to the server. On very large Vault installations, the upgrade may take several hours.
Vault 5.0 does not support Dragnet integration. Users requiring integrated work item tracking should investigate SourceGear Fortress. Fortress is an integrated solution for application lifecycle management (ALM), including work item tracking and work item clients integrated into Visual Studio and Eclipse.
Vault 5.0 is not backwards compatible with previous versions of Vault. In essence, Vault 5.0 clients will only interact with Vault 5.0 servers and vice versa. Vault 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x clients and servers are not compatible with Vault 5.0 clients and servers.
For details on Vault licensing, including upgrade policies and demo keys, please see the Licensing FAQ
Important note when upgrading from the 4.0.6 release: There was a bug in the uninstall routine for the 4.0.6 for users who installed the server and the client together using the server's installer. Upgrading in that situation will succeed, but leave two client shortcuts on the desktop. Please follow the instructions at support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=9653 for instructions on removing the 4.0.6 server and client before upgrading.
- Shelve lets you store changes in the server without checking them in. These "shelveset" can be shared among Vault users, or restored for later checkin. For more information, see: download.sourcegear.com/Vault/5.0/help/client/vaulthelp.html?turl=shelve.html
- VSS Handoff
- VSS Handoff is a new way to convert from VSS to Vault. For more information, see: download.sourcegear.com/Vault/5.0/help/admin/vaulthelp.html?turl=handoffSources.html
- WebDAV support
- The Vault server now supports WebDav connections, which enables cross-platform support for DreamWeaver.
- Visual Studio Checkout Confirmation
- The Enhanced Client now has an option to prompt before automatically checking out files.
- Rebind Projects and Solutions - The Vault server can now automatically rebind Visual Studio projects and solutions to the Visual Studio Enhanced Client.
- Email Settings Improvements - The Email Settings page has a Send Test Email button to verify email settings, and a new field for configuring SSL for the SMTP connection.
- Delete is now available for ghosted files.
- Performance improvements when Ghost folders and files are enabled.
- Enhanced Client
- New Tree control for the Commit changes dialog
- Visual Studio 2010 support.
- Disconnect Command - There is a new context menu item to unbind Eclipse projects from the Vault team provider.
- Passwords can now be remembered
- Check in from a folder in Package Explorer now works correctly
- CruiseControl.NET Support
- Reduced memory requirements for users with lots of CC.Net projects, or very large repositories.